Thursday, February 4, 2010

1st session YAY!

Ok. So the first session is over with. And I can breathe a sigh of relief!
After snow delays and all that it was great to put a face to all of the names and start a programme that has been developing for a while now.

This whole thing started last year when I was writing the Youth Arts Strategy for Kildare County Council. I started to think about programmes and supports I would have liked when I finished in college. I studied Drama and Performance in DIT, when I went in I only wanted to act, but the staff there especially Pete, Miriam, Vic and Declan opened up a whole new world of teaching, directing, even dance! to me. I left the course with one clear vision, I wanted to work professionally in the arts. What wasn't clear to me was, in what area?

So, back to the Youth Arts Strategy and this programme. I felt emerging artists needed, contact with the sector and a group of similar minded people to work with. I don't want to bore anyone with the details so lets skip to... some months later and with great input from Gavin, Jim and Orla at Fishamble: The new play company, here we are.

There was a great feeling throughout the first session with the group. Everyone seemed to be there to share as much as learn from each other which was great. I think everyone brings something different to the table which can only be a good thing.

Being in a room with other people who want to work and learn is always inspiring.

I don't know where we will be in 10 months time, but I do know I will be enriched because of this programme.

1 comment: